Make the most of your self-catering kitchen on your holiday with these easy recipes.
Nobody wants to slave for hours in the kitchen while on holiday – try a few of these easy ideas on your next holiday:
One-Pot Spinach and Tomato Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups unsalted chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 250g spaghetti or linguine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 300g roughly chopped fresh spinach
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Sundried Tomatoes (optional)
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat.
- Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until onion is cooked.
- Add tomatoes, stock, oregano, and pasta, in that order. Bring to a boil. Stir to submerge noodles in liquid.
- Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 7 minutes or until pasta is almost done.
- Uncover; stir in salt.
- Add spinach in batches, stirring until spinach wilts. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and sundried tomatoes.
- For a healthier option, use whole-grain pasta
- Add diced chicken thighs or beef mince for meaty lovers
Recipe adapted from: www.myrecipes.com
Pepperoni Pizza Slider
- Slider rolls or dinner rolls
- Pizza sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pepperoni slices or Salami slices
- Black olives
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Heat oven to 170°C.
- Remove rolls from package, but do not separate rolls. Cut block of rolls horizontally in half; place bottom halves of rolls in big enough baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Spread with pizza sauce on bottom half of rolls; sprinkle with half the mozzarella. Top with pepperoni, olives and remaining mozzarella. Cover with tops of rolls.
- Mix butter, Italian seasoning and garlic powder until blended; drizzle over sandwiches.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan; cover.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until heated through, uncovering for the last 5 min.
Recipe adapted from: www.myfoodandfamily.com
Baked Potato Bar
All you need for a fun baked potato bar is some baked potatoes (oven baked or wrapped in foil in the bbq) and a variety of toppings. Heat all the ingredients up and then let people create their own baked potato.
- The Classics: salted butter, sour cream, chives
- Mexican salsa mix (corn, black beans, origanum, peppers)
- Bacon bits
- Shredded chicken / creamy chicken
- Fajita veggies (sauté bell peppers and red onion with fajita spice)
- Green onions
- Jalapeño popper (pickled jalapeños with cream cheese)
- Variety of cheeses like feta cheese, cottage cheese, cheddar or even blue cheese for the foodies